Chong Hua’s COVID-19 beds full
CEBU, Philippines — Cebu’s Chong Hua Hospital announced Monday that all its 167 regular beds and 18 ICU beds dedicated for COVID-19 patients are currently occupied.
“We wish to inform you that Chong Hua Hospital, despite having the greatest number of beds allocated for COVID-related cases among the private hospitals, is currently full in our COVID-19 capacity,” the hospital said in a statement posted on its Facebook page.
“Presently, we are caring for over 180 COVID-19 confirmed, probable and suspect patients while having more than 120 of our very own staff on quarantine,” it added.
Majority of the cases handled by the hospital are severe, which comprise 49 percent, middle moderate, 35 percent, and critical, 16 percent.
All of CHH’s 18 COVID ICU beds are occupied while 167 of 169 regular COVID-dedicated beds or 98.8 percent are now in use.
Hospital personnel under quarantine include 46 doctors, 79 nurses, and 68 other personnel.
The hospital, however, assured that despite operating at full COVID capacity, “our level of quality care remains uncompromised as we cope with your overwhelming trust in us.”
The hospital appeals for the public’s patience and understanding because if its current limitations as it continues to help fight the pandemic.
Hospital access difficult
According to the family of a military officer, access to hospital care in Cebu is very hard at the moment because all hospitals are in full capacity.
Lawyer Llewelyn Menchavez-Porta, who is helping out the mother of her best friend, a military officer assigned outside Cebu, said she had been making calls to 18 hospitals in Cebu City and even as far as Lapu-Lapu City and Naga City since Monday but not one was available.
She said they were either full or did not have the capacity to look after COVID-related cases.
The patient, she said, was assisted by the medical team of Centcom and brought to the command’s own facility but stayed there for a limited time as it did not have capabilities to handle COVID-19 patients.
The patient was then brought to several hospitals that told them they were full so they decided to go home instead.
Yesterday morning, the patient was brought to a cluster clinic and got swabbed but was told to go home afterwards even as she had difficulty breathing. Her family decided to bring her to a hospital in uptown Cebu City.
As of this writing, the patient was staying in the lobby and is still on the waiting list, along with several other patients, the FREEMAN was told.
Porta said she was also helping the father of another friend who is being isolated at the Cebu City Quarantine Center. She was asked to look for a hospital as the patient was experiencing difficulty breathing and the quarantine center is not equipped with oxygen tanks accordingly.
The CCQC is meant for mild to moderate COVID-19 cases.
Porta said she shared her first-hand experience online as part of the awareness campaign on the present situation here.
“This is the least that I can do, inform people of the real situation through my personal experience,” she wrote. JMD (FREEMAN)