Stricter protocols up in Cebu City
CEBU, Philippines — Stricter quarantine restrictions in Cebu City have been implemented anew with the reimposition of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) due to the ballooning coronavirus cases.
This Police Regional Office (PRO)-7 Director Albert Ignatius Ferro has appealed to the Cebuanos to stretch their patience and cooperate with the authorities.
“If we cannot implement stricter protocols, we will have bigger problems soon. So, we need to be really patient with the strict implementation,” he told the media during his call conference yesterday.
Sweeping restrictions on travel and mass gatherings as well as closure of schools and most businesses are implemented under ECQ, which started on June 16 and will run until June 30. Cebu City was previously under less stringent general community quarantine.
Also, senior citizens, pregnant women, and those 21 years old and below are not allowed to leave their homes as a precautionary measure against COVID-19
COVID-19 causes mild symptoms such as fever and cough for most people but experts have warned that older adults with preexisting health conditions were more vulnerable to the coronavirus, particularly those aged over 60 years old.
Ferro said there is a need to re-educate the public about the ECQ guidelines.
“We really need to educate them back on ECQ guidelines,” he said in response to yesterday’s traffic situation in the city.
Major roads, including the South Road Properties, were seen congested yesterday as the city returned to ECQ.
Ferro said the motorists might not have been informed about the ECQ reimplementation.
Also, he called on the public to heed the stay-at-home order.
“You must stay at home and follow government regulations to stop the spread of the virus,” he said.
Based on the June 15 data of the Cebu City Health Department, the city has 3,613 COVID-19 cases with 1,874 recoveries and 39 deaths. KQD (FREEMAN)