2nd ‘jail break’ this year: Six minors escape ‘Operation Second Chance’


2nd ‘jail break’ this year: Six minors escape ‘Operation Second Chance’

Iris Hazel M. Mascardo (The Freeman) – December 24, 2019 – 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Six children in conflict with the law (CICL) escaped the Operation Second Chance in Barangay Kalunasan, Cebu City last Sunday night allegedly after a riot within the facility.

It was the second time this year an alleged jail break was reported at the facility, which houses minors facing legal violations. The first one happened back in October.

Three of the six children who allegedly escaped on Sunday have been turned over by their parents back while the rest have yet to be located.

According to Colonel Geovanie Maines, officer-in-charge of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO), a manhunt operation was launched by Guadalupe Police Station on Monday to pursue the escapees.

It was the parents of the three children who accompanied them to the police station. The kids, they said, went straight home after leaving the facility.

As to allegations that the children engaged in a riot inside the facility prior to escaping, Maines said that they have yet to validate the information since no report has surfaced so far.

Guadalupe police also said they have not received information about the supposed riot.

Police are yet to conduct a follow-up investigation to determine the exact reason behind the children’s bolting, but one angle they are entertaining is the possibility that they did so to join their families for the holiday celebrations.

As of yesterday, the manhunt operation against the three other children was still in force.

“I’ve already instructed the parents, through the station commander, para sabihan na kung pumunta yung mga anak nila na isuko nila (that they surrender their children back to the authorities),” Maines said.

Maines said they already have the names of the children and that they have coordinated with their parents.

Last October 4, at least 11 minors were also reported to have escaped from the facility.

Because of the incidents, the police said they are willing to collaborate with the local government unit in case it needs their help for intensified security installation. (FREEMAN)


Source:

https://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2019/12/24/1979516/2nd-jail-break-year-six-minors-escape-operation-second-chance

Check Also

Wait for Duterte delays grand parade: Tangub, Lumad win

CEBU, Philippines — Heavy favorites Sinanduloy Cultural Troupe of Tangub City and Lumad Basakanon of …

Leave a Reply

© CebuCentral.Com