Breaking News

DILG allows return of sidewalk vendors


DILG allows return of sidewalk vendors

Alicia Ivy L. Chua (The Freeman) – November 29, 2019 – 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Sidewalk vendors who were displaced by the road clearing operations in Cebu City will be allowed to return to their original vending areas during weekends starting on December 1 until January 20 next year.

Mayor Edgardo Labella announced the good news for the vendors during a meeting with them at the City Hall yesterday.

Labella said the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) granted his appeal for the vendors to be allowed to return to their respective vending areas on Saturdays and Sundays for the Christmas season.

They will go back to their relocation area at the Tabo sa Banay on P. Gullas Street during weekdays. The mayor said the DILG allowed the probationary period for the vendors after he assured that they won’t be causing any obstruction.

“In the spirit of Christmas season, this is more like a probation period, I will try to help explain to DILG na bisan naa sila gibutang na mga stalls wala gyud sila ka obstruct sa kadalanan,” said Labella.

The affected sidewalk vendors had been appealing to the city government to allow them to return to their original vending places. They claimed that their income had been affected since they were relocated to Tabo sa Banay.

DILG legal officer Aiiza Fiel Nogra said they are allowing the vendors to return on specific days provided that they will not cause obstruction.

“Naa mi gi-come up nga solution, mao ni ang best compromise, just in time para sa pasko,” said Nogra.

The DILG has also allowed the night market at Tabo sa Banay from 6 pm to 2 am Mondays thru Fridays. The market will be supervised and regulated by the Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification, Enhancement (PROBE) team.

A council resolution is needed to support the compromise agreement with the sidewalk vendors. The resolution will be sponsored by Councilor David Tumulak.

A P20,000 financial assistance through the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) will also be given to the registered vendors who were affected by the clearing operations.

“Ipakita nato sa DILG authorities sa region ug sa Manila nga maski naay vendors, hapsay man gihapon. And of course to show to DILG na atong mga vendors diri sa dakbayan capable maninda nga at the same time dili mag obstruct sa atong kadalanan,” said Labella.

As a compromise, the DILG is requesting the vendors to follow the conditions like maintaining the cleanliness of their surroundings and for their 2×2 stalls not to obstruct the roads. /FPL (FREEMAN)


Source:

https://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2019/11/29/1972838/dilg-allows-return-sidewalk-vendors

Check Also

Soco wants ‘disabled’ vehicles removed fast

Soco wants ‘disabled’ vehicles removed fast Gregg M. Rubio (The Freeman) – December 16, …

Leave a Reply

© CebuCentral.Com