CEBU, Philippines — Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella has directed the City Legal Office to investigate 20 city workers who tested positive for using illegal drugs.
The 20 include two from the Parks and Playground Commission, two from Department of General Services, 10 from Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification, and Enhancement (PROBE) team, five from Market Operations Division, and one from Office of the City Civil Registrar.
They tested positive for methamphetamine hydrochlouride or shabu during a series of tests conducted by the City Office for Substance Abuse Prevention (COSAP) starting November 8, 2019.
The names of the 20 are being withheld for now but City Legal Officer Rey Gealon said they received COSAP’s report afternoon on Friday, November 15, with the names of the employees.
“Upon the directive of the mayor, we shall commence our investigation. Legal officers will be assigned to investigate these employees in compliance with due process,” Gealon said.
“Termination from employment awaits those who will either not submit themselves to the investigation called for or who will fail to present controverting evidence,” he added.
Labella assured earlier that those who will be found using drugs will undergo due process.
The mayor warned, though, that they will be suspended or dismissed from service if initial tests are confirmed.
COSAP will carry on with the surprise drug tests among City Hall employees to make sure that the city government is drug-free, and to support the anti-drug campaign of President Rodrigo Duterte. JMO (FREEMAN)