Cebu’s ride-hailing groups not joining strike Monday
CEBU, Philippines — Transport Network Vehicle Service (TNVS) drivers and operators in Cebu will not hold a transport holiday or strike Monday amid fears of deactivation.
Ride-hailing groups, such as Cebu Bravo Team, Alsa Boys and D-Mix, in Cebu made the statement yesterday following the call of their counterparts in Manila to stage a transport holiday to protest the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board’s (LTFRB) “unreasonable” process in granting or denying franchise applications.
The strike, the first since TNVS drivers were introduced by the Department of Transportation in 2015, was by far the strongest action taken by the sector, which recently lost 5,000 members who failed to get a franchise from the LTFRB.
Michael Malaque, a Grab driver, said making money is more important than joining the mass action.
“We rely on this to earn a living. Wala na sa among huna-huna mag-strike kay mawagtangan mi og income ana,” he said.
Rodolfo Hermosa, a Grab driver-operator, said they opted not to join the strike as not to create more burden on the part of the passengers.
He said the Grab units in Cebu are not enough to cater to the needs of the riding public.
But he said their non-participation in the protest does not mean they are in favor of the government’s action against TVNS drivers and operators.
At a press conference yesterday, the group said they asked President Rodrigo Duterte and the Department of Transportation to allow existing 3,000 TNVS drivers-operators in Cebu to operate.
“Kung hindi po kaya ng LTFRB magdagdag ng supply, hinihingi po namin na payagan ng LTFRB na makabyahe ang mga existing TNVS units in Cebu at huwag nang bawasan,” the letter read.
In Cebu, the group said, around 1,500 TNVS units are in danger of being deactivated.
“Only 1,500 units will be allowed by the LTFRB to operate in Cebu,” the group said.
Of the 3,000 Grab drivers and operators, only 500 of them have certificates of public convenience, is allowing them to operate legally.
The fate of 2,500 drivers and operators in Cebu, on the other hand, is still in limbo.
According to LTFRB data, 45,522 TNVS drivers currently have either a provisional authority or a certificate of public convenience, allowing them to operate legally.
Last month, LTFRB cancelled the operation of 10,000 Grab units in Metro Manila.
Because Grab does not have an employer-employee relationship with its driver-partners, those who will be removed from its platform will not get benefits or subsidies.
Grab promised only to assist them in renewing their franchise once the LTFRB opens 10,000 new slots for TNVS drivers on June 10. — KBQ (FREEMAN)