Breaking News

Mambaling underpass to open Saturday


Mambaling underpass to open Saturday

Odessa O. Leyson (The Freeman) – June 11, 2019 – 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — The opening of the P638-million underpass along N. Bacalso Avenue, Cebu City on June 15 will proceed as scheduled, with or without an inauguration ceremony.

Department of Public Works and Highways-7 (DPWH-7) Project Engineer Roy Dela Cruz told The FREEMAN that they are not yet certain whether or not they can hold a ceremony before or on the opening day.

They can finalize the date after the inspection of the underpass by representatives from the central office of DPWH on Thursday or on Friday.

He added his office wanted to be true to their words on what they had announced earlier that the new road infrastructure will be available to the public on Saturday.

Dela Cruz said he will inform the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) on the possibility that the inauguration would come later.

At present, Dela Cruz said the underpass is 100 percent complete.  The WT Construction Inc., contractor of the project, was able to finish the major activities of the construction.

In August 2017, the contractor started the construction with the phase 2 of the project, which is in front of the shopping center.

The construction of the underpass was composed of six phases where the first phase is in front of a fast food chain.

The third phase is located near corner F. Llamas Street and the fourth phase is in the northbound lane of N. Bacalso Avenue. The fifth and sixth phases are the middle portion of the project.

For every phase, the WTCI consumed at least three months for its completion.

Dela Cruz said the contractor is now doing minor activities that include painting the curbs and establishing the thermoplastic lane.

Today, DPWH-7 and CCTO will meet to finalize the traffic scheme in the south district.

Among their discussions would be whether or not to allow public utility jeepneys (PUJs) to utilize the underpass and others.

The CCTO has been vocal earlier that they would not allow PUJs to access the underpass for them to be able to pick up or drop off passengers in the side roads.

Provincial buses and mini buses are also barred from passing the new road infrastructure for they are identified contributor to traffic.

The public began experiencing horrendous traffic in the south district since the construction of the underpass started.

In fact, the motorists and the drivers have been anticipating for its opening so that they can already heave a sigh of relief. (FREEMAN)


Source:

https://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2019/06/11/1925532/mambaling-underpass-open-saturday

Check Also

Vice governor ‘uncomfortable’ with outsourcing

Vice governor ‘uncomfortable’ with outsourcing Lorraine L. Ecarma (The Freeman) – October 16, 2019 …

Leave a Reply

© CebuCentral.Com