Cebu City cops on alert for NPA anniversary
CEBU, Philippines — The Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) has made its personnel ready for any atrocities that may take place in line with the celebration of communist rebels yesterday, December 26.
Police Supt. Emelie Santos, the Deputy City Director for Operations, told reporters that almost 2,000 CCPO personnel are vigilant in monitoring terror attacks from members of the Communist Party of the Philippines and its armed wing, the New People’s Army (CPP-NPA).
It has been 50 years since CPP-NPA, a Maoist movement, was founded by Jose Maria “Joma” Sison in 1969.
She said that for rallies and other protest walks, the Civil Disturbance Management are equipped to respond and disperse “aggressive” groups.
She added that reserved forces are also on standby.
“We have deployment. Naa pud mi reserve forces and we are ready for that,” Santos told reporters.
She said they have not monitored any movement or plans from CPP-NPA group in Cebu City.
Meanwhile, the Bohol Provincial Police Office (BPPO) observed a peace rally of 250 rebel returnees from People’s Advocacy for Collaboration and Empowerment Inc. in Tagbilaran City, Bohol yesterday noon.
Police Senior Supt. Angeles Geñorga, the chief of BPPO, said that they are rebels who have turned a new leaf and were reintegrated back to society.
They only gathered to air their grievances over their previous experiences back when they were members of CPP-NPA.
He said, in a phone interview, that the rebels who staged the rally have availed of the comprehensive package offered by the government.
The group also reportedly encouraged other leftists to return to the government’s fold.
“No other reported movements in line with the celebration of CPP-NPA. So far, peaceful naman and those who have staged rally went home peacefully after airing their grievances,” Geñorga said.
It has been reported that President Rodrigo Duterte will not declare ceasefire between the CPP-NPA following the series of attacks nationwide in different police stations and against cops allegedly perpetrated by members of CPP-NPA.
In the region, one of the recent one was the death of Senior Insp. Porferio Gabuya Jr. who was allegedly gunned down by motorcycle riding-in-tandem in Barangay Poblacion Negros Oriental.
Probe eyes “open harassment” by communists through their texts as possible motive aside from work-related matter and personal grudge.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines Central Command commander Major General Noel Clement said that the rebels should stop listening to Joma Sison who rants in comfort in Norway.
“They should instead go down and avail of government programs like e-clip. They will never defeat and overthrow the government. If they so choose to fight it out with government troops, we will be forced to use the entire government machinery to protect the people,” Clement said. — MBG (FREEMAN)