CEBU, Philippines – The city of Talisay is planning to press charges against the owner of the cargo vessel which sank in the waters off Barangay Cansojong last month.
Atty. Giovanni Sususco, city legal officer, said he will meet the officials of Seen Sam Shipping Company, owner of the sunken vessel MV Fortuner, to discuss the city government’s concerns. Sususco said he will immediately initiate the legal action if the shipping company refused to cooperate.
“We are banking to file a case if dili mo-coordinate, pero depende pa ni sa resulta sa meeting,” Sususco said.
He, however, said that the representative of the company vowed to address the problem during their initial meeting.
Sususco said he was already given initial assessment by the engineering department of the situation in the area where the vessel sank. He said the engineers told him that the city should not worry about oil spill.
“They told me on technical matters nga kaning fuel kuno sa ubos lahi kuno kini…mogahi kuno mao nga dali ra kaayo kuhaon,” Sususco said.
City Councilor Antonio Bacaltos Jr. earlier expressed his concern over the failure of the shipping company to salvage the vessel until now.
MV Fortuner sank on May 6 while approaching Cebu City from General Santos City. The vessel was loaded with iron and metal billets when it happened.
The vessel, which had a gross tonnage of 1,474.32, allegedly suffered a crack along the midsection of its hull. All 22 members of the crew were safe. (FREEMAN)